Ask the expert




I just found out that my four-year-old son has malrotation. He had an x-ray done that showed malrotation. What should we do next?

Answer of our experts

If malrotation has been identified by an upper GI study, then your son will need to be referred to a surgeon to be evaluated for a procedure to correct the malrotation and place the bowel into a safe position that will make it much less likely to twist around (volvulus). This is called a Ladd's procedure. I would start by contacting the physician who ordered the study. Any pediatric surgeon should be able to do the procedure, but you will want to make sure that it is done at a children's hospital with pediatric anesthesia

KL/TK 7-13-10

Answer is checked and valid for


Malrotation; the intestines (or viscera) are twisted

Presentation of any abdominal symptoms in an individual with CdLS, irrespective of age, should prompt consideration of intestinal malrotation.
Evaluation for the presence of intestinal malrotation needs to be discussed and decided together with the family, balancing the potential gain in health and burden for the individual with CdLS.

Legal Disclaimer

Please take note that the Ask the Expert service is comprised of volunteer professionals in various areas of focus. Answers are not considered a medical, behavioral, or educational consultation. Ask the Expert is not a substitute for the care and attention your child’s personal physician, psychologist, educational consultant, or social worker can deliver.

Do you have a question you would like to ask?

Ask a Question

Do You urgently need help? Contact the CdLS Foundation USA, Our Staff!